Thursday, March 17, 2011

March 17: St. Patrick's Day

I had hoped to have a bunch of photos of the lush greenness of Hawaii to post here, but since I've spent all of my time inside the house thus far, no such luck.

So I googled St. Patty's Day to find something interesting to tell you, and here is what Wikipedia taught me:
  • The color associated with the day was originally blue
  • St. Patrick used shamrocks to explain the trinity in his evangelism of the Irish
  • The church sometimes moves St. Patrick's Day if it happens to fall during Holy Week or other important solemnities, so in 1940 it was on April 3; in 2008 they moved it too (to March 14), but somehow I missed that...good thing it won't be in the way again until 2160
  • The shortest St Patrick's Day parade in the world takes place in Cork, Ireland, where the parade lasts just 100 yards and travels between the village's two pubs
I looked for fun videos too, but again, fail.  I did hide something for you to find for today, but I'm not sure why I thought it was fun since it's just green beads, which we already had.  So I guess you can have almonds today too.  The almonds were supposed to be for National Pecan Day except that Walgreens didn't have pecans--they only had almonds.  So I substituted.

Man.  My posts are going downhill quickly here.

Well, if you feel so inclined, here are some relatively lame clues to find today's relatively lame prizes:
  1. In the movie, _____, ______, who shares the same name as a friendly kids' character, says, "I gotta start wearin' more ______." (the location clue is the 3rd blank...the other two are just to make it a more challenging clue)
  2. [Bottom drawer of the] "_____ [bureau] rots your brains," says the babysitter in this 20yr old movie.
Can I come home yet?

Edit: I found a few old photos of a good St. Patty's Day past to share...

     

7 comments:

  1. Oooh...I know them both! I haven't had a chance to look, yet, though.

    Great pics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Corey, did we accidentally pull the beads out when we were dressing Jackson up for Mardi Gras?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha. I don't know. There's a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I assume you got the Mardi Gras beads from the dress up box in the gear room. In which case, no, that's not where the green beads are. I feel like you would've had more of a "Why are there green beads here?" moment if you had found these ones. But maybe you did, and you just didn't tell me?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well we pulled them out of the gloves/hat area upstairs and I had a slight, why are they here moment, but figured with all our drunken carousing and speedy cleaning meant that all things that go over or on ones head go together.

    Ragibre

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wait--drunken carousing? Just what have you been up to while I've been gone? You're all supposed to be in mourning because you miss me.

    In that case, however, yep--those were them. In which case, you've already found both of today's items once before, and I didn't even need to give clues. At least I know there's still one thing you haven't found!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't tell you we discovered a new kind of alcohol that's ok for knocked up folks to drink? We're going to make millions!

    ReplyDelete