Saturday, March 12, 2011

March 12: Girl Scout Day

So besides being Girl Scout Day, it's also Valerie's birthday.  Consider this your reminder, Adrienne :)

Now back to the Girl Scout stuff.  I was in Girl Scouts from 3rd grade to the end of high school.  I'd share awesome photos of me in my sexy girl scout uniform(s), but they're all in boxes in the laundry room there.  Feel free to go look if really want to!  Anyway, Girl Scouts was started March 12, 1912 by Juliette Gordon Low in Savannah, Georgia (see how much you learn from these daily posts)?  Girl Guides (the non-US version) was founded by the wife of the guy that created the Boy Scouts.  You'd think they would've done the Boys Scouts and the Girl Scouts, but no.  I think she didn't want anyone thinking she was copying her husband.  Corey, when I steal your ideas, I'll make sure I copy them closely enough that you get credit.

I remember the days when it was safe to go door-to-door asking people to buy cookies.  I also remember how much it sucked and I hated it.  Now, mall sales, that was a different story.  I loved those (until I got into high school and was then horrified at the idea of classmates seeing me) because it was so much more effective.  Going door-to-door you maybe sold a couple boxes every 30min, but with mall sales it was nonstop.  And $1 from every box went to sending me to train dolphins in Hawaii!

I looked for good photos and videos of Girl Scouts to add some entertainment to this post, but that was a waste of an hour, so I'm giving up.  Instead, here are some movies you can watch that will help you celebrate the day, curled up with a nice box of Thin Mints.  Or Do-so-dos.  Or Tagalongs.  Mmmmm...
  • Troop Beverly Hills (not bad for a 90s era movie about scouting)
  • The Addams Family ("they're made with real Girl Scouts!")
  • Troop 1500: Girl Scouts Beyond Bars (a 'heartwarming' story of Girl Scouts whose mothers are serving time)
  • Girl Scout Cookies ("6 couples head into the woods of Northern Minnesota looking for a weekend of fun, romance and camping. But instead of enjoying the warm waters and each others company they end up forced into a game of life and death where it's kill or be killed."...sounds amazing, right?  I think we should download it.)

1 comment:

  1. Ha, I already got a text and a call from my sister reminding me about Dad's birthday, now I get a reminder from you for Valerie's birthday. Man have I got it made. Now I just have to remember to call them both. Also I used to Loooove that troop Beverly Hills movie when I was a kid. It's what comes to mind every time you mention leading a troop Sarah. Where are the cookies? Do they have them at Walgreens? Do girl scouts accept Walgreens gift cards? I may have to use my Walgreen's gift card on a heating pad if Corey needs his back any time soon. My neck is dead.
    Nomest, Sadium

    ReplyDelete